A Brief History of District 130
In 1847, the first public school in the area opened at what is now Maple and Grove Streets in Blue Island. The building, which later became a library and public meeting hall, still stands not far from the present Whittier School. The first building on Maple was replaced by a two-story structure in 1854-55, which was named Whittier School. This second structure was replaced by a Victorian version, and later by the present Whittier building in 1925.
As the community grew, other buildings were added to the school system. During the 1950's, the Illinois legislature forced the closing of District 129, a one-room school. The Crestwood students from District 129 became a part of School District 130 at that time. Just 16 students attended the area's first public school in 1847, although about 80 school aged children were known to live in the area. Today, District 130 makes every effort to have all children within its boundaries in a school program. Currently approximately 4,050 students from Alsip, Blue Island, Crestwood and Robbins attend school in District 130.