Gifted Testing for the 2016-17 School Year
Cook County School District 130 is now accepting parent referrals for Gifted Testing for the 2017-18 school year. Before referring your child for Gifted Testing, parents are asked to review "Bright Child, Gifted Learner."
If you feel that your child is a Gifted Learner, please complete the Gifted Referral Form (located in the box to the right, in both English and Spanish) and return it to your child's school. All parent referrals are due by May 5, 2017. Below you will find a brief description of the Gifted Process and Programs.
- Referral process begins in April of each school year for children entering first grade and above.
- Referrals can be made in writing by a parent, teacher or other district staff member.
- Forms are available online or in the main office of every school.
- Gifted testing occurs at the end of May and into June for the following school year.
- Testing is held at the District Office (12300 S. Greenwood Ave. in Blue Island) and takes approximately 1.5 hours.
- Parents are notified in writing of the testing results prior to the start of the next school year.
Primary Gifted or Thursday School (Grades 1-2)
- One day per week for a half-day.
- Thursday School is held at George Washington School.
- Children from Lincoln, Nathan Hale Primary and Paul Revere Primary schools are transported by District 130 buses to George Washington School.
- Students receive an enriched extension of the first-and second-grade learning standards.
Intermediate Gifted (Grades 3-5)
- Students identified as Gifted are clustered together in one class per grade level at each building.
- Teachers follow grade-level curriculum with differentiated/enriched instruction.
Middle School Gifted (Grades 6-8)
- Students identified as Gifted are scheduled according to strengths, based on MAP scores and teacher recommendations.
- Strengths in English Language Arts are clustered for ELA and Social Studies.
- Strengths in Math are clustered for Math and Science.Students strong in both ELA and Math are scheduled together for all five core content areas.