2012-2013 Registration Downloads
Standard Course Offerings
- Instruction in all academic areas based on the Illinois Learning Standards
- Special area course offerings in art, general music and physical education
- Industrial Technology and Family & Consumer Science instruction for middle school students
If you need assistance or have any questions, please call Michael McLaughlin, District 130 Homeless Education Liaison, at 708-385-2915.
Middle School Counseling Program
One counselor is assigned at each of the middle school buildings: Hale Middle, Kerr, and Veterans Memorial. The middle school counselor will promote optimal academic, career and personal/social development through promotion, prevention, and responsive services delivered through individual, group, classroom or school-wide programs based on data and the needs of the school and its students.
School Counselors help children by...
- Promoting positive attitudes among students toward self, family, peers and community.
- Assisting students in learning how school performance relates to future opportunities.
- Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as health decision making, resolving conflicts and respecting others.
- Working collaboratively with students, parents and teachers to identify and remove barriers to learning.
- Supporting students by teaching skills for achieving success.
- Helping students to recognize and make the best of their abilities.
- Counseling with students individually and in groups.
- Providing support during personal crisis.
- Orientating new students.
Dual language, a special program which provides instruction in English and Spanish to children whose first language is Spanish or English; these classes are located at Lincoln (K-3) > Whittier (4-5); Greenwood (K) > Revere Primary (1-2 & Grade 3 in 2010-2011); and at Nathan Hale Primary (K-1 & Grade 2 in 2010-2011); See attachments for more information on enrollment and how the program works.
Dual Language Program / Programa de Dos Idiomas
Special Course Offerings
- Transitional Bilingual Education Program
- Available for students whose first language is not English
- Native language instruction (Spanish) in reading and writing
- Native language instruction (Spanish) and English As A Second Language (ESL) in the content areas
- English at the students instructional level for those ready to transition to all English for all subjects and English As A Second Language
- All subject areas in English include listening, speaking, reading and writing
- A Parent Advisory Council gives suggestions for program implementation
- Transitional Program of Instruction
- Available for students whose first language is not English and there are a variety of language groups in the school
- Students receive services in English for listening, speaking, reading and writing in English Language Arts
- Students will be able to communicate and participate as effective members of the school community
- Gifted Program
- Available for identified students in grades 1 through 8
- Provides accelerated and enriched instructional experiences
- Nurtures a commitment to lifelong learning and encourages the use of the students' special talents
- Title I
- NCLB Title I and Title II Program Information
- Title I District Plan
- Title I District Plan Update FY12
- Reading Recovery® is an early intervention program available for 1st grade students at Revere Primary, Lincoln, George Washington and Hale Primary
- It provides daily one-to-one reading instruction by a specially trained teacher
- Primary Literacy is a short term reading support program that is available in grades 1 through 3 at Revere Primary, Lincoln, George Washington, and Hale Primary and Intermediate
- Offers professional development for all staff in providing a balanced literacy program
- Supports language arts team members at Kerr, Hale and Veterans Memorial Middle Schools
- For more information, please contact:
Cheryl Vacca, Director Transitional Bilingual Education, Transitional Program of Instruction, Title I and Gifted Programs
12300 S. Greenwood Ave.
Blue Island, IL 60406
Phone: (708) 385-6800
Fax: (708) 385-8467
- Special Education
- Services are provided for students aged 3 through 15
- Assists students with identified special needs to maximize their mental, physical, social and emotional competencies
- Services for low incidence handicapping conditions provided through support from the Eisenhower Cooperative
- Screenings for special needs children are available at Horace Mann School and can begin when a child is 2 years, 9 months of age
- For more information, please contact:
Kerri Moses, Administrator for Pupil Personnel Services
Pupil Personnel Services
5312 W. 135th Street
Crestwood, IL 60445
Phone: (708) 824-1052
Fax: (708) 389-7036